Cheapest Cooking in the Moment: A Year of Seasonal Recipes
|
|
Cooking in the Moment: A Year of Seasonal Recipes By Clarkson Potter
Best Price for Cooking in the Moment: A Year of Seasonal Recipes. With Special Pomotions Fast Shipping List Price :Price Save : $22.17 SalesRank :89646 Warranty:
|
Cooking in the Moment: A Year of Seasonal Recipes Description
For Andrea Reusing—an award-winning chef, a leader in the sustainable agriculture movement, and a working mother—“cooking in the moment” simply means focusing on one meal at a time. Tender spring broccoli given a smoky char on the grill, a summer berry pudding with cold cream, or a cider-braised pork shoulder served with pan-fried apples on a frosty night—cooking and eating this way allows food in season to become the foundation of a full life. Cooking in the Moment is a rich, absorbing journey through a year in Reusing’s home kitchen as she cooks for family and friends using ingredients grown nearby. When seasonality is reimagined as a grocery list rather than a limitation, everyday meals become cause for celebration—a whole week of fresh sweet corn; a blue moon autumn asparagus harvest; a rich, spicy soup made with the last few sweet potatoes of winter. Reusing seamlessly blends down-to-earth kitchen advice with delicious, doable recipes, including childhood favorites (chicken and dumplings), simple one-pot dinners (shrimp, pea, and rice stew), as well as feasts to satisfy a crowd (roast fresh ham with cracklings). And while the action takes place in North Carolina, the kinds of producers and places that animate these pages—farmers, ranchers, cheesemakers, butchers, bakers, orchards, backyard henhouses, and fishing holes—can be found all over, producing the flavors that we crave. With gorgeous photography throughout and more than 130 recipes, Cooking in the Moment will inspire cooks everywhere to embrace the flavors and bounty of each season.“I’ve had the pleasure of enjoying many fine meals at Lantern. Andrea Reusing’s food is always fresh, seasonal, and as local as possible. Her recipes are creative and downright delicious.
Costumer Reviews
3.9 Out Of 5 Stars (46 Customer Reviews)
Reviews for Cooking in the Moment: A Year of Seasonal Recipes (Hardcover) I bought this book after I saw a review in a cooking magazine, and it sounded right up my alley. So far, I've been somewhat disappointed with the book. Admittedly, this is on the basis of cooking two recipes, but looking at the others, I am now disinclined to try more.
My first attempt was the recipe for shrimp and rice stew. I liked the idea of the ground rice, to make almost a porridge, and ignored the somewhat smug "we can get wild shrimp and you can't" attitude, and went ahead with farmed shrimp (and I know the issues here. They're there for wild shrimp too). The dish was bland, wet, and just an out and out problem. It was made redeemable by adding more vegetables, and more spice. The next time around, I cut the liquid quantities in half, and used a stock rather than the water the author recommends. Much better, but isn't that the author's job?
Next recipe: rhubarb ginger sorbet. Take a look at the recipe: it says (I do not make this up): makes 1.5 cups. HUH? Who's going to make sorbet when the yield is 12 ounces?
In fact, it probably should say 1.
Reviews for Cooking in the Moment: A Year of Seasonal Recipes (Hardcover) Customer review from the Amazon Vine™ Program (What's this?) I like to eat healthy, I like to cook, I dont have a ton of time, and I like to buy food thats local and in season.
This book is absolutely amazing. My review copy was in b&w, im such a fan of this book, I'm thinking about getting in color. I've made 3 dishes and one drink so far. It impressed the foodies I had over. They were all simple and straight-forward.
I need to mention these caviats: Some recipes look simple at first but will have an additional step in there for the sauce or some such, make sure you carefully read over what you want to make the night before. Some of the ingredients are expensive and can be difficult to locate. I'm lucky enough to live in LA with plenty of high end grocery stores and have been able to find everything so far. Lastly this is definitely a gourmet cookbook, this wont be useful for someone in college or with limited fun, this definitely isnt an essential book, but is a great add on to your collection for those times you want to impress.
Reviews for Cooking in the Moment: A Year of Seasonal Recipes (Hardcover) Customer review from the Amazon Vine™ Program (What's this?) So many cookbooks tell us how to make things we can't find ingredients for and we don't have the time, skill or patience to make. Then they show us photos that a professional food stylist has labored over for hours and that our food never looks like. But those cookbooks are not Cooking in the Moment.
Andrea Ruesing's book is breathtakingly beautiful with brilliantly bright and mouthwatering photos of FRESH fruits, vegetables and meats. But it is the finished meal photos that really make this a wonderful and truly approachable book. They look like meals we can serve at home! They look like real food made by real people that might not be "styled" but is still really delicious. I found the photos of dozens of types of tomatoes, apples, grains and other foods not only beautiful but very informative and a great help in identifying what I was seeing in the market.
The recipes range from real basics like meat stock or fried chicken to more exotic fare like squab with onions and cherries or pickled figs. Recipes and stories are arranged by season to take the greatest advantage of all the fresh, local foods you can find. They are accompanied with charming vignettes of her family's experiences around food as well as clear explanations and stories about the science and practicality of food items -- like how to tell a good fat from a bad fat, how to do overnight and clay pot cooking, how to select heirloom apples or "schlepp" your food home.
0 comments:
Post a Comment