The Southern Foodways Alliance Community Cookbook
|
|
The Southern Foodways Alliance Community Cookbook By University of Georgia Press
Buy The Southern Foodways Alliance Community Cookbook. With Special Pomotions Fast Shipping List Price :Price Save : $16.30 SalesRank :101446 Warranty:
|
The Southern Foodways Alliance Community Cookbook Description
ISBN13: 9780820332758.Notes: BRAND NEW FROM PUBLISHER! 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. Tracking provided on most orders. Buy with Confidence! Millions of books sold!.Condition: New."It's as much Americana as cookbook, an effort to preserve a vanishing part of our culture. Either way, it's an instant classic.
Costumer Reviews
4.1 Out Of 5 Stars (7 Customer Reviews)
Reviews for The Southern Foodways Alliance Community Cookbook (Hardcover-spiral) Everyone who loves to cook should own this cookbook. The introduction by Alton Brown is inspired and the recipes read like chapters of a book. Even if you never cook with it, this book is an anthropological study for anyone who loves food in general and southern food in particular.
Reviews for The Southern Foodways Alliance Community Cookbook (Hardcover-spiral) The is a wonderful cookbook. It is a new focus on Southern traditional cooking. It will not replace my treasured Charleston Receipts and my many other traditional southern cookbooks, but it is refreshing.
Reviews for The Southern Foodways Alliance Community Cookbook (Hardcover-spiral) I couldn't disagree more with the previous review that calls the binding of this cookbook "horrible." In fact, the binding is one of the best things about the book because it lays completely flat while you're cooking. I've been cooking for about four decades now and own a slew of cookbooks. Except for the local and community-based ones that generally have a spiral binding they're a struggle to keep open while you're cooking. It's even difficult to keep them open while you're copying a recipe. To save the binding on my books, after having broken a bunch of them (expensive!), I usually photocopy the pages if it's a long and complicated recipe. I've tried a variety of book clips over the years. They can be helpful but half the time they slip off plus you have to reposition them every darn time you turn the page.
The binding choice here eliminates all that hassle! In general the book has a nice feel. It's a good size and a good weight, the design is colorful and fun, the paper is high quality, and the recipes are laid out and written in a clear, straightforward manner. My one suggestion if there's another edition would be to list the recipes of each section on the first page of the section. It's a little cumbersome to search through the section for the recipe or have to go to the index each time.
There's a story with each recipe that tells something about the person who created it and the place they're from. I like it that these cooks who are not famous are given credit for what they do. So much attention goes to celebrity chefs these days. It's refreshing to learn from everyday people who are passionate about their cooking. I have learned a lot about the South too from this book. It's rich! The recipes from each region are really different.
I don't belong to the Southern Foodways Alliance but now I'm going to join. There's depth to what they're doing here. The book is quirky and sometimes kind of goofy fun. The "bacon forest" is an out-there concept (a lot of bourbon flowing that day?) but I can see it for a fundraiser celebrating local farmers. And, hey, Southerners, like the British, do love their pork.
I got this cookbook as a gift and it's a truly interesting present. I've made the fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, deviled eggs, spoonbread, beef stew and, finally, the caramel cake (heaven). Many of the recipes have a special twist to them (evaporated milk for the fried chicken, grits in the spoonbread). This is good for beginners and for experienced cooks.
0 comments:
Post a Comment